So I think the title of this post is pretty self explanatory. I know I haven't posted for a while, but this is something that has been on my mind for a long time.
First of all, I'm not really sure how this legging revival came about. Who is the evil being responsible for this? Seriously, it wasn't a great look back in the 80s. It wasn't a great look in the early 90s when I was five and had Fred Bare leggings with a matching big Fed Bare tshirt to go with them. At least I had an excuse; I was too young to know any better, and the early 90s was a confusing time in fashion. Does anyone else remember Blossom, with her big flower hats, and bands like Girlfriend? I rest my case. But I remember in high school when we would laugh at the librarian for wearing leggings. And now she's apparently society's fashion icon. What the...?
I do sort of understand the point of leggings in some cases. They sort of make sense under dresses. They allow you wear dresses in winter, and aren't as restrictive as stockings. And sometimes, when worn like this, leggings can look good. But please, for the love of god, do not wear leggings as pants! This is a particularly heinous crime that makes the baby jesus cry when it is footless tights that are worn as pants. Let me explain why. The whole point of footless tights is that they are tights. As in stockings, just with the bottom cut of to make them a bit more casual. But they are still made out of stocking material, which even though it may say 'opaque', are stretchy and ultimately SEE THROUGH. Let me take the opportunity here to explain that the point of clothes, and pants specifically, is to cover your nakedness and prevent the rest of the world from seeing all of your glorious self. Wearing see through clothing is actually counter productive to this.
Now, actual leggings made out of a non-sheer material are a step up from this, but still not great. Here is why. Even though people choose to wear skin tight jeans which may or may not be flattering on their individual body shape, at least denim is a thick material that does a little to hold everything in and cover everything up. Leggings do not. The tighter they are, the less they leave to the imagination. They really get up there and outline every crack, dimple and lump on offer. And this? Is not nice. It is also not improved by wearing leopard print or lace versions.
I do understand that leggings may be comfortable, and in some occasions are preferable to other forms of pants. But please, not in public. And if you feel you really must, at least wear something over it. And I don't mean a tshirt that only just covers your butt, still allowing us to see almost everything. I mean a dress that at least reaches your thighs.
I will admit, I have seen some girls who could wear leggings on their own and look perfectly acceptable. These girls are rare, and us mortals should not be fooled into thinking we will look like that as well.
So please, for everyone's sake, wear real clothes, and not leggings, as your only form of lower body clothing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment